Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Baby Check: 5 Months


Baby Check: 5 Months

So, Effy turned 5 months almost 2 weeks ago (oops)…so I’m going to rewind back two weeks in my mind for this update.  That’ll be hard considering she’s changed so much within these most recent two weeks – she’s finally enrolled in an ACT prep class, she perfected a soufflé recipe, and she got her braces off!  But I need to slow down and back up to 2 weeks ago when she was 5 months old and just a little baby…

This post will probably be shorter than normal.
I’m on spring break and want to play with my baby. Ya dig?
--------------------------------------------
As far as Effy’s social calendar goes, the month of February was less eventful for her because it was my craziest month at work, as I anticipated it would be.  February did, however, bring the following things for Ms. Effy…

End of basketball season: I love coaching the dance team at school, but I’d be lying to you if I said I wasn’t relieved the busy season is over.  No more evening games away from the baby and no more after school practices!  Effy spends most of her days at my mama’s house…mom drives an hour to my work and meets me there in the morning, drives an hour to her house and hangs out with Effy all day and sends Scott and I lots of pictures and videos.  When I get out of work at 3pm, I go to my car and parked next to me is my mama with that sweet baby in the backseat, ready to go back to our house!  My mom is AWESOME.  I don’t know what else to say.  Effy and I are so lucky. Here’s a picture from my mom’s house.  Effy is starting to grab at lots of things and apparently when Mom was getting her ready to eat, Effy took the liberty of grabbing the Tupperware with all the bottle pieces in it. What a helper!

Musical practice: Effy came to a handful of musical practices at school.  My dear friend Sarah is the theater teacher and musical director at school and I helped choreograph the last two years (which is how my love affair with Sarah began).  Anywho, Effy spent lots of time in utero around the marching band with dance team stuff goin’ on, so I think to hear our band director on the drum set at musical practice, she felt at home.  My favorite practice was the one where I held Effy as she sat on the front of the stage and watched the students practice up close.  She squealed/screamed a few times.  I think she liked it.  The musical performances were right around Effy’s 5 month birthday, which means our present to her was the end of those after-school practices as well.  You’re welcome, baby girl.

Single parent: I spent a week in February as a single parent…kind of.  Scott was out of town for work for a week, so baby girl and I slept at my parents a couple of nights and my sweet mama had a slumber party at our house too!  Scott kept saying that he hoped Effy would remember him while he was gone.  My oh my, she was one happy lady when daddy walked in to get her out of the crib after he returned.  Normally she’s very smiley in the mornings when you come into her nursery, but for the first time I can remember, she laughed as soon as she saw Scott walk into her room. She was SO happy.  
Lady parts appointment: In November, I went in for my post-partum appointment with my OB-GYN, and she seemed genuinely disappointed that I didn’t bring Effy with me.  I guess I assumed it was a bad idea to bring a baby, but she acted surprised/sad that I hadn’t brought her (which is just one of 3892 reasons I love my doctor).  She knew that I was going to be due for my annual lady parts appointment in a couple of months, so she called the receptionist and told her to schedule me on a Saturday so it would be easier for me to come in and bring the baby with me.  She is too sweet!  Anywho, Effy did in fact come with me to my appointment and slept the whole time.  Phew!  Can you imagine trying to entertain a baby while somebody is all up in your business?  And by business…I mean vagina.
Oh, and I was talking to my doctor and told her how I kiss Effy on the mouth all the time, which I never thought I would do.  She said she was the exact same way until one time her 18 month old opened his mouth and they French kissed.  I love my doctor.  If you live in the KC area and need a recommendation, check out Dr. Nguyen at KC Women’s Clinic.  Love her!
Ted Talk: A few months ago, our dear friends Ted & Corinne moved home from Chicago.  They brought with them a new social tradition called Ted Talks.  Basically, you pick a topic on which you are well-educated and passionate and present on it (PowerPoint, posterboard, etc.) to your friends.  In February, Scott, Effy, & I hosted and the topic was breastfeeding.  It went so well!  Seriously, the men asked more questions than the ladies and people seemed genuinely interested.  It was so wonderful.  Oh, also, I made a custom bullet in the shape of a boob to put in our PowerPoint.  It’s subtle because I’m a classy lady.  Here’s one of our slides:
Effy sat through the presentation as well!  
She tried to present but she got stage fright and pooped her pants.
Though Effy’s social calendar slowed down this month, she was very busy on her own.  She spent her time doing many fun things such as….
Eating her toes
Snuggling with Daddy
Sucking her thumb
Going on walks (AH-mazing weather, ‘round these parts)
Playing in her jumper
We love you baby girl…and SO soon you’re going to be half a year old!  We’re so proud of you and you fulfill our lives even more than we knew was possible.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

She is much too cute. And Dr. Nguyen is actually who delivered Ryann! Did we not talk about what practice we went through? She was awesome. My doctor was home with a sick kid that day, we had Dr. Wright throughout most of the day, and wouldn't you know she had to go deliver one of her own patients. So we ended up with Dr. Nguyen for the last 20 minutes of my labor and delivery :).