Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bump Check: Week 40


Alright baby, come on out now.  Olly olly oxen free!  We’re ready to meet you!  Baby girl has been cookin’ for 40+ weeks so now we’re just playing the waiting game (spoiler alert: she is winning).  So last week I made a list of all the things I’d like to get done before she arrives, and it was quite a long, slightly unrealistic list.  However, because of the help of some wonderful people, items are getting knocked off the list…and things are getting done that didn’t even make the list, which is awesome!


Cinderella came to my house and scrubbed my kitchen floors.  She also vacuumed our bedroom and the nursery.  More importantly, we ate Goodcents together.





Sissy Sarah came up from Texas for a trip home and spent time making delicious food for us!  Because of this master chef, we have a lasagna and 4 Mexican pizzas in the freezer as well as a container of tomato soup and some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins (most of which are already gone…oops)!

I’ve had my car for 11 years and have taken good care of everything under the engine.  I will admit, however, that I don’t take the best care of the interior of my car.  I found a small company that seems to be just trying to get off the ground and their prices are right!  Lucy (my car) got her floors and seats vacuumed and shampooed, her dash and door panels were cleaned, her mirrors and windows sparkle, and they even washed and dried the exterior, all for $100!  I really wanted a sparkling clean car for baby girl to ride in and at 9 months pregnant and with a husband who works full-time while attending grad classes and working on his thesis, I figured paying someone else to do it was totally worth it to me.

I can’t even begin to tell you all the things my mom has done around the house to help prepare for the baby.  I won’t even go into the emotional support she’s given me because it’s just all too much to comprehend, but I think what’s so amazing is she doesn’t make a big deal of it.  I’ll be on the phone in another room while my mom is at our house and all of a sudden, I’ll hear her sweeping somewhere.  I’ll be upstairs getting dressed and she’s downstairs unloading the dishwasher.  All of these things add up to a huge relief for Scott and myself. 

One of the best things that’s happened in the last week is I officially started my maternity leave from school.  It’s really hard not to be with my students, but I know a few days off before the baby arrives is a good thing.  Maternity leave without a baby turned into this today:
  • Cheddar bites and strawberry limeade at Sonic
  • A trip to GAP Kids where of course I had to buy something
  • Stopping into Barnes and Noble to pick up this little beauty
  • Conveniently located across the street B and N is Andres Confiserie, where I picked up a piece of vanilla cake with buttercream frosting.  DONE.
This baby better come soon so I stop spending all our money!

Since I’ve been on maternity leave, I’ve received countless texts and emails from students wanting to know how I’m doing.  It’s also funny to see the rumor mill in action.  Here are some of the texts I received on my first day away (they are unedited, so you can get a real taste of my students).  Notice how they progress as the day goes on:
  • Hey ms dicus we miss u.. Its alberto and Miguel
  • Hey ms dicus itz me Jamie. I wish u the best and I hope everything goes well with ur baby!! I love u and miss u!!!
  • Omg i just found out ur goin to have ur baby. i wish u da best..n plz!! Send me a pic of ur baby!!!
  • Good Luck Miss Dicus Cant Wait Too See Your Beautiful Baby She Will Have A Big Smile Just Like You :]
  • Hey Miss Dicus Its Rosa And Daniel We Were Just Wonderinq If Yu Had Yuur Baby Already?
  • Omg Ms.Dicus I heard you are having contractions now, We all wish u the best and let us know when she is here...Love yu girly :)
I love my students SO much.  I also love that in a 2 hour span, the texts went from “Hey” to “OMG…you’re having contractions” apparently.

Okay baby girl.  Let’s get this show on the road.  BRING. IT. ON.

How far along: 40 weeks
Current fruit comparison: She is now the size of a baby elephant.
Total weight gain/loss: At the doctor today, I was up 29.3lbs. I’ll take it!
Sleep: Besides bathroom trips every 90 minutes to 2 hours, I’m good!
Best moment this week: Watching the baby hiccup during our sonogram appointment
Movement: Still good, though I know she’s squished in there. She gets the hiccups a couple of times a day, so that’s why it was extra great to actually see it happening during the sonogram.
Food cravings: Cereal still…no big changes.
What I miss: Doing things around the house quickly.  Everything nowadays is soooo slooooow.
Milestones: Baby girl is fully cooked at 40+ weeks!

5 comments:

casey elizabeth said...

BLESSINGS! BLESSINGS! BLESSINGS! Cannot WAIT to meet Baby Girl. Phill and I sneak into town this weekend for a wedding, so feel free to let her out by then, mkay?

Ashley said...

mad props to you for surviving 40 weeks of baby baking. i swear i got off easy only going to 38. hope i get to see pictures of this little peanut soon!

Katie McWilliams said...

I just wanted to put an idea out there.. I think you should give your dad all your belly pics, so he can make a flip book. That way we can have some fun here at work:) I am easily entertained so that would be quite fun for me:)
Also, thank you so much for sharing your pregnancy with the world. I have really enjoyed your story:)

Amy said...

Oh man, you are ripe and ready to go! I can't wait to hear how it went and then meet that little cardigan-wearing baby girl of yours. So happy for you two. Enjoy your last moments of pregnancy sista!

Anonymous said...

It's Tricia again, your lurker. Hahaha! Wow, crossing my fingers for you that the small one arrives shortly! I'm a teacher and I can definitely see some of the middle- high schoolers I've worked with sending those types of texts! Good luck with everything. I think you're going to write a most honest review of the birthing process... blessings!