Thursday, April 19, 2012

Baby Check: 6 Months


I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, but just never put in the pictures and posted it.  Oops.  My bad. Also, re-reading it, I was clearly not feeling witty.  Eh, oh well.  Maybe her 7 month post will be on time.

Baby Check: 6 Months

Weight: 14lbs, 8oz – 25th percentile
Length: 25.5” – 50th percentile

My sweet little lady is half a year old.  SLOW DOWN, life!  Holy crap, I just realized that I only get to repeat her life 35 more times, then she’s off to college.  Umm…I may or may not be tearing up right now.

Many big changes happened this month, but Effy’s biggest change has been her diet – we’ve added solid foods!  During her 6 month, she had rice cereal, peas, carrots, & apples.  My sweet mama bought us this baby food maker and I’ve been itching to use it for a long time and I finally got to!  I’ve been making her food for the past 6 months, now I just make some more in a different way.

My favorite solid foods moment so far was the day that Effy kept imitating me chewing.  I’ve watched this 12 second video clip countless times.

As we anticipated it would, solid foods has really changed Effy’s poop situation.  Luckily (right Mom?), Effy times 80% of her poops to happen at Grandmama & Grandpa’s house while Scott and I at work!  My dad got the pleasure of changing a diaper after Effy hadn’t pooped for 4 days.  Mom said she came home to a very poop filled diaper, some poop on the bathroom floor, some poop in the sink, and a perfectly clean and happy baby girl.  Good job, Grandpa!

Lately we’ve been walking to the grocery store at least once a week, which is really nice.  We still drive when we do big shopping (like for milk and heavier things), but I felt so productive the first time Effy and I walked down together, bought some veggies, walked home, and made some delicious, homemade baby food.  I can’t wait to do things like that even more when I’m a stay-at-home mama!  Effy is now recognized at the grocery by a couple of the employees because she squeals and kicks her legs the entire time we’re shopping.

Another big development during Effy’s 6th month is that she is consistently rolling over.  She’s done it quite a few times before, but now, when we lay her down on her stomach, she immediately rolls to her belly in 1 - 2 seconds.  She also used to get tired of being on her belly, but now she doesn’t seem too at all.

Other exciting events in Effy’s life this month:
-       Spring break: A small taste of our future life as daughter & stay-at-home mom.  Eek!  SO excited!
-       St. Patrick’s Day: I wanted to be super cute and take Effy to the St. Patty’s Day parade, but it was a little chilly.  I LOVE parades (it’s the band nerd in me) and my dancers were going to be marching with the marching band in the St. Patty’s Day parade, but the last time I went to the parade, I was reminded why I don’t really drink.  Lots of drunk people are annoying.  Lots of drunk people with no boundaries around my 6 month old?  HA.  I think we’ll save Effy’s first parade for the American Royal parade or something this fall.
-       Tim Fleenor took 6 month pictures of Effy and he was just amazing with her.  Tim found a way to capture itty bitty moments with Effy that as a parent, we love.  We are personally not much for posed baby pictures, and Tim’s style fits right along with what we like.  He came to our house and just took pictures around our house.  He also took pictures when she was 2 weeks old and will take pictures again when she’s a year…which is sooner rather than later – crazy!
One of our favorites.
-       Effy got her passport!  Scott’s work always comes with the chance of work abroad, and we just wanted to be ready (once school is out) for Effy and I to come along for the ride.  Getting Effy’s picture taken was quite an event.  The requirements for a baby passport picture are pretty intense: no smiling, you can’t show the hands of anyone else, you shouldn’t use obvious things to prop them up…pretty much they want your baby to look like they hate life but know how to levitate.

Baby girl…we LOVE you.  We love your soft cheeks.  We love rubbing your back.  We love making you smile.  We love that you love us.

I can already anticipate her 7 month post will be full of lots of changes.  She has learned some fun things in these last couple weeks.  Stay tuned for a 7 month update soon!

No comments: