Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My First Sick Day

I've had many first experiences as a parent over the last 9 months.  Below is a quick highlight:
- The first time my child projectile pooped on a chair
- The first time I got curdled breastmilk thrown-up into my hair
- The first "iceberg" booger [aka: going in to pick your child's tiny booger and quickly realizing that what lies in their nostril is MUCH bigger than originally anticipated.]

Yesterday, I had another first, but one that was not nearly as messy: my first sick day as a stay-at-home mom.

I went to bed on Monday feeling kind of icky and woke up Tuesday feeling especially under the weather.  I swear Effy could pick up on my mood change and adjusted accordingly -- has anyone else experienced this?  Our day ran pretty smoothly:
- Breakfast where instead of me talking to Effy the whole time, I fed her cereal & peaches while I flipped quietly through a magazine.
- A short walk in the same outfit I'm wearing right now...24+ hours later. Don't hate.
- Effy's kindest moment: She played quietly and happily in her baby jail while I laid on the couch with my laptop and watched an educational show.
-  A quiet lunch out with Scott where I shoveled a Canadian bacon calzone in my face hole (obviously with a side of ranch).
- An hour and a half nap with Effy.

Then Scott came home from work and took Effy to his mom's for dinner & playtime.
Getting ready to head to Grandma's!
When Scott & Effy got home, we took a quick walk.  I could tell I was feeling worse because during our walk in the 85 degree weather, I had goosebumps.  I checked my temp when I got home and it was 101.6 - ick!  Nurse mama (aka my mom, who also happens to be a nurse [BONUS!]) gave me some good tips and today, I feel much better and my fever is gone.

I had not anticipated how difficult it would be to watch a baby when you're sick.  It's moments like yesterday that make me realize how self-centered my life was before baby girl.  I will say I am slightly very spoiled and have always been showered with love and attention from my parents & husband.  When you feel sick, you just want some attention and TLC...and a 9-month old doesn't quite get that.  However, she was SO wonderful and peaceful and sweet, I swear she could tell something was up.  Has anyone else experienced something similar? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My boys seem to just "get it" when Mommy isn't feeling well too. The other day i had a migraine and they played quietly while I layed on the couch, no fights, no whining to go outside, just oerfect lil men while I waited for the meds to kick in! Kids are resilent and smart!
~Katrina

adrienne said...

Re: The Bachelorette - I am enjoying this parody show so much: http://screen.yahoo.com/burning-love/