Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bump Check: Week 28

Last week we were lucky enough to have another sonogram.  We’ve had some extra than normal because of some weirdo things going on with me.  Warning: weirdo pregnancy/womanly words ahead. At my 20 week appointment where we found out we were having a little girl, the sonographer was a little concern that my placenta was covering up my cervix, meaning that my placenta would have been in the baby’s way of heading out of my uterus.  This would mean that I’d definitely have to have a c-section.  She said this issue comes up in a lot of pregnancies but that it usually fixes itself, but they’d want to do another sonogram in a few weeks to see if my placenta had moved.  Soooo, last week was the “has my placenta moved” sonogram and *BONUS, we got to see the baby again!  The sonographer said that my placenta had moved and everything look good, so then we just proceeded to watch the baby for awhile. 

Baby girl was super chill.  The sonographer put the wand on my belly and almost immediately we saw that the baby had her arm rested about her head and let out a really big (and adorable) yawn.  In fact, during the sonogram, she yawned a total of 3 times.  We must have woken her up from a nap!  The sonographer wanted to try to get the baby to rotate so she could get a good profile view for us, however the baby was quite comfortable where she was.  At this stage, you should be able to poke around your belly or make loud noises and occasionally get the baby to react. Scott figured that if they wanted the baby to move, they’d get out another fancy baby wand and send some pulses to the baby or something.  Not true.  From out of nowhere, the sonographer starts vigorously smacking my stomach with a cowbell.  No joke.

Another fun thing we saw on the sonogram was the baby’s hair!  Now any girl out there with curly hair can probably agree that at one point in their life, they wish they had straight hair.  My mother understood this as I grew up because she too is a curly lady.  In fact, through all of middle school and part of high school, my mom used a crazy blow dryer with a brush attachment to straighten my afro.  My hair would get so hot that she’d have to wear handbell gloves to keep her hands from burning.  Now that’s love.  I suspect someday I’ll have to do the same thing with our baby girl, because I’m sure in her head, she’ll feel like she looks like this:
Can you believe I've never had a class in Photoshop? I'm such a natural talent!
Because I complained about my hair a lot, my mom would try to make me feel happier about it by saying, “Michelle, when I was pregnant with you, I would always pray for a little girl with brown, curly hair, and God gave you to me!”  Once a week for the next year, I prayed for a little girl with beautiful flowing hair just like Rainbow Brite’s. I didn’t want it to be blonde however.  I wanted it to be rainbow like Rainbow Brite’s horse, Starlite.  So, for a sneak preview, here’s what Baby Dicus will most likely look like, because I’m sure God will deliver:
Baby Dicus -- what dreams are made of


How far along: 28 weeks
Current fruit comparison: She’s 17” from head to toe and weights about 2.9lbs. Her size rivals that of a small cabbage.
Total weight gain/loss: At the doctor this week, I was up 20lbs (no change from last week), but I didn’t weigh today and am now too lazy to get off the couch and go see some giant number on the scale.  Plus, I’m anxiously awaiting Scott’s arrival home with a Goodcents sandwich.  I can’t be bothered with weighing myself right now.
Sleep: The last week I’ve woken up at 4am about three or four days and stayed up for awhile (lame).  My newest sleeping pattern this week is wake up really early, eat some early breakfast, and then fall back asleep on the couch for awhile.  Today, I got TWO naps!  I love summer.
Best moment this week: Our sonogram!
Movement: This week, she seriously did some Thumper thing on my stomach like from Bambi.  It was like, “rat-ta-tat-tat”, and my stomach fat jiggled like crazy!  I love this girl.
Food cravings: This week – 2% or whole milk (specifically Shatto root beer milk – mmm!)
What I miss: Riding/Driving in a car without having to lean the seat back really far, big pimpin’ style.  However, riding that way helps my rib not hurt as much as sitting upright.
Milestones: The baby gave her first gift!  She gave her dad a remote controlled helicopter for his 27th birthday.  She’s so thoughtful, and apparently already has an Amazon account!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Your posts make me smile. Especially the graphics. Glad to hear everyone is doing well :)

Kelsey said...

YES!! She is going to have your hair!!