Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bump Check: Week 29


There are a few things in life that have made me feel like a grown up.  They’re probably not things you’re imagining (such as graduating from college, getting married, or being pregnant).  Things that have made me feel like a grown up include:
  • Getting the oil changed in my car without taking someone with me to do the talking
  • Buying my first piece of furniture (The Snuggler…you are a special person if you’ve sat in this giant beast of a chair)
  • Going out to dinner alone while traveling alone for business (and I drove MY rental car there – BOO YAH)
  • Picking my own doctor.  Let’s take a closer look at this important moment in my “adult” life.

Once girls reach a certain age (or have some other factors going on), your annual physical exam also includes someone peering into your naughty cavern.  When I was in college, I went in for a physical with a doctor I had never been to.  Here is how the conversation went, as I remember it…

Doctor: Are you currently sexually active?
Me: No.
Doctor: Have you had a past history of sexual activity?
Me: No.
Doctor: Oh! Well, today we’ll be doing a pelvic exam and pap smear and it will probably be quite uncomfortable for you.
Me: Oh, ok. Where’s my mommy?!  Can I get out of here?  Surely there’s a way around this.  I’m a good person.  I don’t deserve this.
Doctor: I’ll have a nurse in the room during the exam to hold your hand.
Me: Oh, ok. Could this please get MORE awkward?  That’d be great.
Doctor: These are the instruments I’ll be using.
Me: Oh, ok. Ma’am, that giant cotton swab is way too big for my ear.  That’s for my ear, right?

Point being, homegirl took something that doesn’t need to be a big deal and made it a HUGE freakin’ awkward deal in my mind.  When I moved to KC in 2007, I decided I should probably get a doctor and have a physical, but was obviously a bit nervous about it.  I needed to find a doctor, so I put on my big girl pants and figured out how to log onto my health insurance provider’s website.  Then I picked a doctor based on one very important criterion: their name.  Yup.  That’s right.  I searched close to the area Scott and I were planning to buy a house and then just picked whoever I thought had the best name.  That is why my doctor is Dr. Winkler.  Best name ever, right??  Wink wink wink winky winker wink wink.  Dr. Winkler has turned out to be a wonderful doctor and my annual exam is no big deal.  When Scott and I decided we were ready to procreate, I decided I should probably get an OB-GYN (which in my mind is a vagina doctor…but I know that’s a slight generalization).  I asked Dr. Winkler to suggest someone and told her the criteria I was looking for: (1) female (2) positive/funny (3) makes me feel like she knows what she’s talking about yet hasn’t already said the same thing to 50 other patients that day.  Dr. Winkler was spot on with her recommendation.  Scott and I both love our OB.

We have to fill out pre-registration paperwork for the maternity area at the hospital we’re going to deliver, and on the paperwork was a spot to list the baby’s pediatrician.  I had no idea who to use, so I just asked my OB who she would recommend, giving her the same three criteria I gave Dr. Winkler.  I made another adult move this week – picked a pediatrician for our baby!  What the heck??  I’m such a grown up!  I’m excited because the doctor’s office is literally 3 minutes from our house, has walk-in hours every day, and is even smart enough to have two waiting rooms (one for sick kids and one for well kids).  The separate waiting room concept is probably not unique, but to someone who hasn’t been in a pediatrician’s office in many years, it seemed GENIUS to me.  Anywho, we met with the pediatrician this last week and really liked her!  So it’s official.

Side note for my dad: Pap smears are still VERY uncomfortable because I’m still not sexually active.  XOXO, Princess

How far along: 29 weeks
Current fruit comparison: Our little butternut squash, at 17in and 3.1lbs!
Total weight gain/loss: +21
Sleep: Still sometimes waking up at 4am and staying up for a couple hours, but I’m never physically uncomfortable, so that’s good!
Best moment this week: Celebrating my mom’s b-day in Top City and garage sale day with Aly.  We found some great bargains!
Movement: She’s a busy bee!  Scott’s latest hypothesis?  “She’s composing a symphony.”
Food cravings: I bought grape juice at the grocery store this week, mostly because juice has sounded good my whole pregnancy, but lemonade has started to give me some serious heartburn.  Rude!
What I miss: Having lots of clothes to choose from!  Though I have some AH-dorable maternity clothes, I seem to go to the same 3 dresses everyday because they’re comfortable and let a little breeze in.
Milestones: Scott, myself, the body pillow, and my pregnancy wedge pillow all slept comfortably in a full-size bed while at my parents.  I consider that a milestone!

1 comment:

Janet Bates said...

You're looking great Michelle!