Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bump Check: Week 19

Get excited, because this post is dedicated to how your breasts change during pregnancy.

SPOILER ALERT: They get bigger.

One of the first symptoms I felt during pregnancy was tender breasts.  This is a very common first symptom for women, including one of my students.  Here’s a recap from a conversation I recently had with one of my students before she knew she was pregnant.

Student: Hey Miss.  What’s in mean when yo’ titties hurt?
Mrs. Dicus: I hate the T-word, first of all.
Student: Fine…breasts [in a sarcastic tone].
Mrs. Dicus: Well, could you be pregnant?
Student: I don’t think so.

The next day she showed up to school with a note from a local clinic with information on her positive pregnancy test.  First she cried about it, but after about 20 minutes of quiet reading, she decided that she was excited and already had names picked out.  Seriously, my pregnant students act like they’re adopting a dog.  It’s very odd/sad.

Now, onto everybody’s favorite subject, my breasts.

I always like to joke about my “Nearly A’s”.  But seriously, these bad boys are hard to control as of late.  Recently, I noticed my bras weren’t fitting properly…and by not fitting properly, and mean didn’t even cover my nipple.  That’s a problem (Scott might argue otherwise).

My mom has taken such good care of me during my pregnancy…okay, she takes good care of me all the time, but she’s being extra gracious and thoughtful right now, which has been so wonderful.  She came up to Kansas City for a day of shopping and I said, “Mom, before we look for maternity clothes, I really need to buy a couple new bras.  These just ain’t cuttin’ it anymore.”  Okay everyone, prepare to be amazed or disgusted..  The bras I was wearing on an every day basis were the exact same bras my mom bought me at Weaver’s in Lawrence my freshman year of college.  That’s right, 2002.  My bras are 9 years old.  Don’t judge.

Now, these particular bras purchased in 2002 were “demi bras”.  Lingerie education: demi bras show more of your boob than normal, but are still supportive.  They made me feel a bit cuter.  I have created illustrations to help you along this journey.  Below is my illustration of a boob in a demi bra.


  
After 19+ weeks of pregnancy, the size of my bust has indeed increased.  With the help of my PG-friendly nipple, below is how my demi bras have started to fit.



My mom and I ventured to Macy’s where we clearly thought we knew my breasts best.  We shopped for the sizes we thought I needed (I had been wearing a 34A, so we picked up 34B’s and 36B’s).  After some failed attempts in the dressing room, we finally had a bra fitter come in and size me.  I apparently went from a 34A to a 34D!!  What?!  That is a lot for me to manage (I mean, literally, how do I manage these?  Do I give them a bonus?  Do I put them on a discipline referral for their annoyance?  How do I manage them?). 

We tried to find a bra that fit but wasn’t too matronly.  Based on Scott’s reaction to the bra, I’m not sure we accomplished that goal, but they’re comfortable none-the-less.  I wore one of my new bras out of the store, so when I walked into our house, I put my shopping bags down and lifted up my shirt to show off my new purchase.  Scott’s reaction?  “Whoa. That’s a big bra.”  Below is my illustration.

 [Wah waaaah]

*Side story: Mom noted this was so much better than the first time we went bra shopping together circa 1997 and I cried in the dressing room.  I would wait until I got to school to put on my sports bra because I didn’t want my dad to feel it when he hugged me goodbye in the morning.  When I got to school, however, it was a different story.  I’m pretty sure the neck of my favorite Free Willy shirt was permanently stretched out from me pulling at my neckline to show off my bra strap.  I was such a hussy.

 
How far along: 19 weeks
Current fruit comparison: Baby is the size of a cantaloupe.  What?!
Total weight gain/loss: +10lbs – yikes! 2lbs in one week.  Gotta slow down on the Chick Fil A…
Sleep: Pretty good.  Have a body pillow now that I thought would boot Scott out of the bed, but it hasn’t!  Yay.
Best moment this week: Watching Scott put together baby’s bassinet while I cleaned out the nursery closet
Movement: Not yet…boo!  I thought maybe I was feeling something move in there, but then I farted.
Food cravings: Apples still…oh, and Chick Fil A lemonade.  It’s sooo good!
Free food from students: Homemade sausage & egg sandwich.  That’s all I got this week!  What’s wrong with these selfish kids?!  Don’t they know I’m hungry?
What I miss: Goodcents.  Seriously…apparently you can’t eat lunchmeat when you’re knocked up because there’s a risk of a bacteria called listeria.
Milestones: Consistently groaning a bit while tying my shoes.  Is that a milestone?

3 comments:

casey elizabeth said...

The graphics are STUNNING.

Ted Kritikos said...

What credentials does one need to become a Bra fitter?

Cari Mooneyham said...

I miss Goodcents too...unfortunately, even after Baby Mooneyham arrives, Chi-stupid doesn't have Goodcents...nor do they have Sonic within the city limits...nor do they have Tortilla Jacks. Boo. (can you tell I'm having some major pregnancy food cravings/mood swings?) :)