Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bump Check: Week 23


We read that Baby Dicus is now able to hear very well in the womb.  Experts say the baby can hear my heartbeat, digestion noises (which are louder and more frequent than the average person), my voice, and other voices around me.  I also heard that if you have a dog, you should let the dog bark around your belly so the baby gets used to the noise and perhaps will be a better sleeper.  Well, we don’t have a dog, but I believe the following noises will be so comforting to the baby because she hears them all the time already:
·      The Jeopardy theme song
·      My mom playing the piano (baby specifically likes Debussy)
·      Scott & I making fake farting noises and laughing way too hard about them
·      The narrator’s voice from the iPhone game “You Don’t Know Jack”
·      The sound of me chewing Tums
·      Scott playing the vuvuzela – this is not a joke.  He bought one off Amazon and it lives in our bedroom.  Jealous?
·      “Welcome to McDonald’s. Can I take your order?”
·      “Welcome to Taco Bell. Can I take your order?”
·      “Welcome to Chick Fil A. Can I take your order?”

Super pregnant moment of the week: On Memorial Day, I woke up really craving a pulled pork sandwich and some onion straws from McGonigles, which is 2 blocks from our house.  I laid in bed checking their website and Facebook page to see if they were open, but couldn’t figure it out.  Fatty McPreggo over here decided to stare out the window looking to see if McGonigles was open.  Picture me, hungry, 5 months pregnant, hair that needs to be washed, underwear I outgrew a month or two ago, and a one of my dad’s Wolfe’s shirt from 1975 that (like all my other PJ shirts) somehow has chocolate on it…starring out the window looking for some pork.  Sadly, McGonigles was not open.  I sort of wanted to cry (just ask my husband).  This is also not the first time I’ve wanted to cry about food while pregnant.  Actually, one time before I was pregnant, Taco Bell forgot to give me my chicken nacho cheese chalupa and I didn’t notice until I got home.  That time I actually cried.  Don’t judge.
 

Extra note: Is it weird to get hand-me-down baby clothes from your students’ babies?  I don’t know, but it’s happening to me.  I did receive this pair of brand new, gold, newborn flats from a student today.  What the awesome?!






How far along: 23 weeks
Current fruit comparison: The What to Expect iPhone app says she’s the size of an ear of corn: 8.5 inches and 1.5lbs
Total weight gain/loss: +12.6lbs
Sleep: Still pretty good!
Best moment this week: Spending the day in Topeka on Sunday & enjoying time with my family…eating at Casa, watching Scott nap, shopping with my parents, picking up some Tad’s.
Movement: Yes!  Definite kicking is happening.
Food cravings: See super pregnant moment above.
Free food from students: Snickers, pancakes (from Ms. Hahs…love you, sugar)
What I miss: Not having my aching body dictate my life.  I went to the chiropractor last week and am going again this week.  Apparently I have a slipped rib head (oh joy)!
Milestones: My mama felt baby girl move!

3 comments:

WhollyRoamin'Catholic said...

A 1.5 lb ear of corn is one big freaking cob.

Cubbies and Nooks said...

Oh, it's a corn cob made of gold. Did I not mention that we're having a golden baby? Actually I think the food is just a size comparison, not a weight comparison.

Zabel said...

Your ribs have heads on them? I'm picturing little rib man-parts. Hope the chiro help you!!